It is HOT! I am loving this weather. The sunny summer afternoons are perfect for one of my favourite summer spirits; Pimm's. If you've never heard of it I highly suggest you give it a go, especially if you are a fan of gin based cocktails. Pimm's is a blend of gin with herbs and spices originally formulated as a tonic to aid with digestion back in the mid nineteenth century. I was inspired to first try Pimm's from working in the restaurant industry, specifically at River Café here in Calgary. Once I found myself in London, I made it my quest to try as many versions of the cocktail as I could. Having been exposed to many a variation I felt that most Pimm's cups's were too fruity and watered down for my taste so I crafted my own version. Check out my recipe below. Cheers!
SLT's Pimm's & Ginger
- 1 counce Pimm's
- 1/2 ounce Bacardi Gold Rum
- 1/2 Lemon, cut into wedges
- handful mint leaves
- 1 ounce blood orange juice - grapefruit also is nice in this (or just omit the juice altogether). If blood oranges aren't available try the blood orange chili juice from Wild Poppy Juice Company - they are a great company and have other awesome flavours to choose from. I buy these at my local health foods store.
- Good quality ginger beer - I like the Outrageous Ginger Beer from Natural Brew Company.
- Squeeze lemon juice and wedges into shaker then add the pimm's, rum, and mint leaves. Muddle all ingredients together.
- Add ice to shaker, shake it up like you mean business (you do).
- Pour entire contents of shaker into a pilsner glass or tall highball.
- Top with juice and ginger beer. Garnish with an additional lemon wedge and mint and another 1/2 ounce of rum for desired taste.
Additional optional garnishes: Cucumber, blueberries, raspberries, and edible flowers for extra wow effect. Pimm's & Ginger, SLT style: Done.
Happy Libation-ing! :)